About the BT-5 Cavalry Tank:
The designation BT stands for Bystrochodij Tankov, or “fast tank,” which was a new class of tank developed in the US as the M1931 Race Tank. Seeing as the US government was initially uninterested in the development, the original inventor, Walter J. Christe, struck a deal with the Soviet Union for the commision of agricultural tractors, which, once on Soviet soil, were converted to the original BT-1s at the Kharkov Komintern Locomotive Plant. The BT-5 variant entered service in 1933 with a redesigned turret similar to the T-26, but otherwise matched its predecessors in that it featured very little armor and relied heavily on speed as the tank’s main defensive tactic.
- Speed: 55 km/h (39 mph)
- Total Weight: 9,253 kg (20,400 lbs)
- Crew: 3
- Main Armament: 45mm model 33 gun
- Range: 200 km (124 mi)
Additional information about this Brickmania® custom building kit:
The BT-5 Cavalry Tank features an extremely unique front design with posable front and rear fenders. Also included are smooth rolling track links, two opening turret hatches, a larger rear hatch, brick-built extra gas cans, and a fully functioning turret.
- Designed by Daniel Siskind
- 427 elements
- High-quality sticker sheet
- Full-color printed building instructions
- 1/35th scale to match other Brickmania kits
- Sophomore Skill Level (2-4 years building experience recommended)