The M1 Abrams is the current main battle tank (MBT) used by the United States Army, US Marine Corps and several allied nations around the world. It is named after General Creighton Abrams, former Chief of Staff of the US Army (1972-1974), commander of operations in Vietnam War (1968-1972) and decorated regimental commander in Patton’s Third Army during World War II.
The origins of the M1 date back to a joint US / German main battle tank program during the 1970s. While this project was eventually canceled, the technology developed was used in the German Leopard II and the American M1 Abrams MBTs. The M1 Abrams introduced many innovative features such as an aircraft turbine powerpack, composite “Chobham” armor, and ammunition stowage separated from the crew compartment. When the Abrams’ original 105mm rifled main gun barrel was replaced with the 120mm smooth bore gun developed for the Leopard II, the tank was then re-designated the M1A1. A program to further improve the Abrams was introduced in 1992 and the designation was again changed to M1A2. Improvements included separate thermal sights for the commander and various technological upgrades.
The Abrams was first combat tested in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm, where it outperformed any of the Russian-supplied equipment of the Iraqi Army. Improvements continue to be made to the Abrams to keep up with technological advances and different battlefield conditions.
M1A2 Abrams Vital Statistics
- Crew: 4 (driver, gunner, loader & commander)
- Weight: 68 tons (62 metric tons)
- Armament: Main Gun: 120mm M256 smoothbore cannon (42 rounds) M2HB .50 caliber heavy machine gun, 2 x M240 7.62mm machine guns
- Road Speed: 42mph (67 km/h)
- Range: 265 miles (426 km)
- Years Produced: 1980-present
Additional information about this Brickmania custom kit:
Features of the M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank kit include
- Fully articulated tank tracks
- Turret fully rotates and main gun can be raised and lowered
- Two minifigures with BrickArms accessories
- BrickArms M2HB and Combat LMG secondary weaponry
- High-quality die-cut vinyl stickers to customize your model
- 1/35 scale matches other Brickmania models
- The over-all color scheme of this model is desert tan
- Includes 817 genuine elements
- Premium quality, professionally printed building instructions box.